05 Nov Replacing Your Heating System? Some Terms It Pays to Know
As winter approaches, your summertime memories may quickly fade into worry about more pressing matters. If you’re like most folks, staying warm in the most cost-efficient way possible is a #1 priority. If you find yourself needing a new heating system, require work on the one you have or just looking for better efficiency, you’ll find it useful to familiarize yourself with heating system terms to better understand what your HVAC specialist recommends. Refer to some important heating system terms:
- Infiltration – This is when cold outside air enters your home due to poorly insulated spaces and openings. Reducing infiltration will reduce costs.
- Humidifier – This unit adds moisture to dry winter air to increase comfort and make it easier to breathe.
- HSPF – This refers to heating seasonal performance factor and rates your heating system’s performance the way MPG rates your car. Make sure yours is up to standards.
- Energy Star – This is a Department of Energy rating that catalogues the energy efficiency of an appliance. You will want to always use Energy Star-rated units.
- HRV – A heat recovery ventilator that allows pre-warmed fresh air to enter your home.
- Heat Exchanger – This is a part of your heating unit that transfers the heat from the heating unit to the air. It is a critical part of your heating system and one of the most important heating system terms.
- Duct – These are the pipes leading to the air vents. Making sure that ducts are properly insulated is essential for proper heating efficiency.
- IAQ – Indoor air quality could become an issue if a home is too well insulated. If this is the case, you might need to add to your current ventilation, or you may have a heating system leak.
By understanding a few critical heating system terms, you will better determine where you might be lacking in efficiency and be better able to work with your HVAC specialist to ensure optimum performance and savings. Contact us at Airco today and put your new knowledge of heating system terms to use saving you money.