29 Oct Reduce Indoor Allergens with UV Lights
Fall allergies are no fun. Out of all the methods to decrease allergens in your home, the most effective is to remove as many of the allergens as possible.
If you’ve tried to reduce indoor allergens before, you know that it’s not an easy task. When properly maintained, filters in your HVAC system are only effective up to a point. However, even the best filter allows a large number of allergens and pollutants through to recycle back into your air.
Does that mean you are doomed to a home full of indoor contaminants that reduce your air quality? Thankfully, no. There’s a solution that’s been around for some time but many homeowners aren’t aware of: ultraviolet (UV) lights.
How UV Lights Work
Ultraviolet lights have been proven to be quite effective against many different airborne contaminants. They are usually installed inside the ductwork of a home and work in two ways to improve your indoor air quality:
- Air containing various contaminants passes through your ducts and passes the rays of UV light. The lights alter the DNA and RNA of the contaminants. This then weakens the contaminants so that they can’t grow or reproduce and die off quickly.
- In addition to disinfecting your air from outside pollutants, ultraviolet lights can also help eliminate naturally growing of mold on your HVAC coil and drain pan.
Are UV Lights Safe?
Some homeowners may be concerned about the safety of ultraviolet lights. While UV rays from the sun can be damaging, UV air cleaners are installed inside ductwork where they do not come in contact with your family. UV lights don’t use chemicals or produce ozone, so they are a safe method for removing indoor allergens.
A Two-Pronged Attack
By themselves, both UV air cleaners and properly maintained filters can help eliminate allergens from your home. Used together, they are even more effective for getting the indoor air quality you need.
For more information about UV lights or other HVAC concerns, contact us at Airco.